Sunday, May 13, 2012

Harvesting

Autumn harvests are coming to an end here in my little valley. The tomatoes are going floury and the King Parrots are taking what's left. Except for the Tromboncino Zucchinis which much like the energiser bunny, never say die!


The best beans ever this year -good old Scarlet Runners. 
They are sweet raw and cooked, and tender even when bigger than the usual harvesting size, 
but best of all are the beans inside!!!


They make the BEST baked beans!!! 


Finally lots of tomatoes and lots of other pickings. 


The little Lebanese eggplants have done really well this year and make THE BEST 'Imam Baildi'  - A Greek / Turkish eggplant bake in a sweet, rich tomato sauce. I'll share the recipe if anyone is interested. But note that it's not my Yiayia's recipe (Yiayia, if you're reading can you please write it up and email it to me please!). Yiayias food is always the best.

Yesterday was spent pulling out the tomatoes and tidying up the patch. I'm still in two minds whether to pull out the Tromboncino  to make way for winter crops, or just let it keep going till its dead...

The garlic is already in (not yet sprouted), but that's about all I've done in the garden really - slightly frustrating because there is nothing better than home grown broccoli through the winter, and I've missed the boat! 

9 comments:

  1. Your harvest is impressive Phoebe, well done! Those beans are beautiful. I would be interested in your eggplant recipe when you get a chance. Happy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! I'll post it soon - the incentive I needed to cook it!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful harvest, Phoebe! Your tomatoes are absolutely gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bee Girl! Gotta love bright, multi coloured tomatoes!

      Delete
  3. Nice harvest Phoebe, I can't believe your still picking summer crops, I only have very sad looking cucumber in. Just giving it time to grow that last cucumber then it's coming out too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that my garden is just very sheltered and perhaps I always start off late and things just keep going? I have no idea - but as of today its all gone except the beans!

      Delete
  4. All your photos are great but the third one is really stunning Phoebe. Great that you've been getting tomatoes up til now. The little red capsicums in the basket - do you know the variety? Dad grew a Mini Mama plant that he bought at Bunnings that looked similar - and I really likedit and he saved seed but just in case in doesn't come true to type I was wondering if there were similar plants? You could still plant broccoli seedlings now couldn't you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question Liz, I bought it from Bunnings too and it was just the 'Patio Harvest' Mini Red for pots. The only annoying thing about the little ones is that they are all seeds inside and fiddly to prepare. But I did also grow a small red called 'Cherrytime' from Eden seeds this year which was good.

      I planted some broccoli seedlings today - here's hoping they survive the rabbits, chickens, dog and my neglect! Oh and the caterpillars too of course.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful harvest Phoebe, those little eggplants look great....and the squash....and the beans..... I was a little late planting my broccoli too but with an extra feed of worm juice they are growing well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting, I love reading what you have to share!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...